Wednesday, March 19, 2008

VItamins Cut You

This morning was an odd morning to say the least. It was a normal Wednesday. We all get up and go to school Wednesday mornings. Like a bunch of kids. It's cute.

Missy gets up and says, "My throat hurts." Uh-oh. She's sick, I immediately think. She hasn't been sick all year. We don't get our new insurance until next week. So, of course she's sick.

So I am checking her all around. She feels cool. Hmmmmm. Then she says, "Mommy I have to tell you something." Uh-oh. I think again.

She says, "Last night when you gave me my vitamin I fell asleep with it in my mouth." I said, "Ok, no big deal. But, you must chew them completely so you don't choke."

Missy says, "No mommy. It's stuck to the inside of my cheek." WHAT? So I look. It sure was. Darn thing never dissolved. I gently pull it from her cheeck, and it took a small piece with it. Poor kid.

But, it gets worse. I take a flash light to her mouth and her poor little throat has tears and cuts all through it. Nope, didn't even remotely look like Strep to me. But, what was it?

I call the pediatrician on my break during school and it's from the vitamin! Did you know that certian food left in the back of your mouth for prolonged amounts of time can tear your esophagus? Well it can. Apparently, the chemicals in the vitamin were broken down and little chunks of the vitamin rested on her throat all night, tearing the inside of her mouth.

So, basically she can't eat anything other than soft foods. Dinner was quite fun in our house tonight. And trying to get her to gargle with salt water before bed will be even MORE fun!

Bet my Wednesday was weirder than yours.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor Missy! I have never heard of such a thing! Good to know.

chrissy said...

Shared this one with hubby! Hope Missy is doing ok.

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

Oh my gosh! That is crazy!!!

Steph

Anonymous said...

OMG! I had no idea! Hope she feels better fast!

Anonymous said...

I would never have guessed this could happen! One of those things, where you think, "Why haven't I heard about this before?" Being a parent isn't easy. Hang in there.

Mimi's Toes said...

What a strange thing to happen. Hope she is feeling better soon.