Thursday, August 21, 2008

When God Calls You......

I've never claimed to be a religious person. God and I have had our ups and downs throughout life. I had a lot of tragic things happen to me over time so it was hard to keep faith during all of it. A couple of years ago, before the Tiger, Missy and I belonged to a church. We went every week. I can't exactly remember why we stopped going. But, then I started working on the weekends and church is no longer an option since I work on every Sunday. And starting next week, I will be in school at night on Mon. thru Thurs.

So, then there's Missy. This child craves to go to church. She's the only child I know around me that goes to her room to read her bible (not all the time, but it's random and cute). She has a children's bible and has been reading it for the past two years. She is constantly asking me when we can go back to church. But, I don't know the answer. I am in school for another 15 months so I'll be working weekends until then. And will it be too late then? Will she lose her interest by the time I'm available for church? What am I supposed to do? My mom watches her every Sunday while I work and she'd never take her to church. My mom is about the most un-religious person I know. But, I feel bad. It's almost as if God is calling to my child to come because she has no one religious around her and yet she still craves Him and is so curious.

7 comments:

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

Is there someone you know that would take her with them? I would imagine, as long as you know them, someone would be thrilled to take Missy along. I say if she's seeking, try to let her go!

Steph

Anonymous said...

I agree with adventures in babywearing -- maybe Missy has a friend or neighbor who goes who would be glad to take her. What a powerful witness a child can be when they want to know God better. One thing I see is if you are feeling this urgency in her, I'm guessing your mom is feeling it when Missy's with her too. Wouldn't it be wonderful if Missy's young faith would inspire your mom too! You never know who she is witnessing to. God bless Missy, and may He help you find a way to get her where she's going.

You're a good Mommy, Jen. Ask God to help you and He'll make the way clear.

One more thing. When you say your relationship with Him has been up and down, remember He's always constant -- it's us who draws away or moves closer.

I'm praying for you.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I qwas going to ask if there is a friend that you trust to take her on Sundays? Or any other days that she can go to be apart of chruch? If the kids dont go on sundays they go to Musical Munchkins on Wed with our church. And it is easier for friends to take them then. Just because it is all kids their ages.

Mimi's Toes said...

It sounds like God IS speaking to her heart. You can check to see if there is a church bus ministry to pick her up or like others have said, see if there is a friend who can take her. That is so great that she is asking to go to church. You could even have church at home anytime, just you, her and Tiger. Play music, sing, read the bible as a family.

Amy Plumb said...

I think the Lord speaks to us in different ways and right now He is using Missy. Like another comment said before me - how wonderful if your mom could also benifit. I know it can be difficult to talk to our mom about it but like I said the Lord speak to us in many different ways and maybe he is trying to speak to all of you and Missy is the tool.
Amy

Simplymoi said...

Some churches have alternatives to a Sunday morning service like Saturday night or Sunday night.

chrissy said...

What about a weeknight service. Many churches have kids programs on Tues, Wed or Thurs. Maybe that is an option. Usually it is a drop off and pick up in about 1 1/2 hour, my kids love going to those programs. I love the Awana programs, usually at the Baptist church. It is a bible based program, not based on individual religion, but on the love of God. Maybe even Friday night groups or programs. When I was available we were going to services on Saturday evenings maybe that is an option. Or Like Mimi said you can do church at home. There are so many options to feed her curiousity, just figure out what works, and maybe she just enjoys doing church her way and asking questions as they come along!